Multi-stakeholder governance for sustainability: Working Groups for Jurisdictional Certification in Central Kalimantan
Since 2011, the provincial government of Central Kalimantan has been committed to developing sustainable plantations throughout the province. The provincial government issued Provincial Regulation (Perda) No. 5/2011 to provide the legal basis for ensuring sustainable plantation development in the province. To support the implementation of Perda 5/2011, the previous governor of Central Kalimantan, Teras Narang, launched the Roadmap to Low-Emission Rural Development in 2013, focusing on oil palm. Developed with input and support from several districts in Central Kalimantan, palm oil companies, and civil society organizations, this roadmap summarizes the plan for reducing deforestation while increasing palm oil production and improving the incomes of small-scale farmers.
Figure 1. Timeline of Central Kalimantan Work
In May 2015, the governor established the Jurisdictional Certification Working Group to expedite the implementation of the Roadmap. The governor set a target of certifying the entire palm oil supply chain in Central Kalimantan by 2019, with a focus on three pilot districts: Kotawaringin Barat, Seruyan, and Gunung Mas.
The mandates of the Working Group are:
- to remove the risk of deforestation and social conflict from the palm oil supply chain;
- to develop a work plan and resources needed to promote jurisdictional certification of palm oil; and
- to provide input to support jurisdictional certification and perform other operational steps that are relevant to the jurisdictional certification of palm oil.
The members of the Working Group are: local governments, oil palm growers, non-government organizations, indigenous people and smallholder farmers. INOBU was appointed by the governor to serve as Facilitator of the Working Group.
Follow the progress of the district Working Groups here:
- Central Kalimantan Province Working Group
- Seruyan District Working Group
- Kotawaringin Barat District Working Group
- Governor’s Decree on the Establishment of the Working Group on Jurisdiction Certification
- Governor’s Decree on the Monitoring System
- Kotawaringin Barat District Regent’s Decree on Establishment of the Working Group on Jurisdiction Certification
- Seruyan District Regent’s Decree on Establishment of the Working Group on Jurisdiction Certification
- Gunung Mas District Regent’s Decree on Establishment of the Working Group on Jurisdiction Certification